Friday, April 13, 2007
A moment
Then I wondered to myself, "Since when have I become such a music snob?"

Given my humble beginnings of having discovered rock music through a reality show (Rock Star: INXS, to be specific), I don't really have that right. But it's like, with every rare rock CD that I acquire, I feel more rock snobbish, in a Jack-Black-in-High-Fidelity kind of way. Case in point: I was talking to someone last week about how Incubus is so gasgas and emo music is fucking shit (I admitted to liking Panic! at the Disco though hahaha). He agreed, and laughed at my inexplicable fondness for Panic. Basically, if a lot of people start liking a band, turn-off na sakin yun, and stuff like that. I made the mistake of whining about how much I hate corporate rock to a guy who liked Nickelback and Creed, luckily he was cool about it. He doesn't like Nirvana, either, so we're even.

But it didn't really hit me until I stopped by Music One, planning to pick up a Daughtry album. 'Cause I love Chris Daughtry and everything. So I had the CD in my hand, and I'm walking around checking out the other albums, when I realize that they're playing Daughtry in the store. And the moment my brain processes the sound, the thought hits me like a brick:

"Oh, SHIT! Corporate rock!"

I drop the CD in the nearest shelf and practically run out the store. Sorry, Chris, I love you, and I enjoy the occasional Nickelback single, but I hate corporate rock in general. Hate it. With a passion. It's the elevator music of rock and roll. It's a rock enema. You might as well be Britney Spears. You made me run out of the record store, it's that kind of music!

"I figured out of all the Idols, Daughtry would be the one I'd pay money to listen to his rock album. But this isn't "rock." This is some unholy crap the radio stations call "Hot Adult Contemporary" and some polyester leisure suit-wearing demon-spawn producer excreted and recorded as an album. I'm still upset. I mean, sure, I bought the other albums, but only as a joke. This is personal." - Professor Chan

So I went home and comforted myself with Bjork and Radiohead. Maybe in an age when I'm not as repulsed by corporate rock, I'll pick up the damn album. This is probably just a phase.
JC got bored @ 10:03 AM

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com