Saturday, October 27, 2007
Mindless fun and housewifery

Yay, a full length story-of-my-life update!

I've got to say, I'm absolutely in love with my current living arrangement. It's basically this: I make up my own hours, and then I just do whatever the hell I feel like doing. It. Is. Awesome. My parents are worried that I'm experiencing brain drain from all the fun, no-thinking-required activity, but if anyone loves reveling in their own idiocy, it's me.

(For the un-updated on my life, here's the summary: I took an equivalency test last July and I am now officially a high school graduate. I have the rest of the year free to do anything I want to, until college next year. Think of it as a year-long sembreak.)

This is also a perfect living arrangement for me because I'm the type of person who never gets bored. I'll always find something interesting to do. So what have I been doing with my endless free time?

  1. Listened to the A Chorus Line soundtrack ad nauseam, singing along shamelessly when I am home alone. I'm talking dance-on-the-bed, hairbrush-as-a-microphone sing-alongs here. Like in the movies! I've listened over and over so much that I memorize most of it verbatim, as I have with the Rent and Wicked soundtracks. "I dug right down to the bottom of my soul to see how an ice cream felt, yes I dug right down to the bottom of my soul, and I tried...to meeeelt!"
  2. During our Powerbooks shopping spree, my mom bought a huge book of cookie recipes. Since I'm the only one here who can bake worth a damn (what? It's true!), I've taken it upon myself to make sure the house is always stocked with a different type of cookie every week. Last couple of weeks: peanut butter cookies and classic chocolate chip cookies. Next week: Snickerdoodles and chocolate kourabiedes.
  3. Shopped a lot. I've turned into a complete mall rat, although JC's Excellent Adventure will come to a temporary halt for now considering the Glorietta bombing. Did you know that I actually planned to go there that day? We were running out of Japanese mayo, so I planned a trip to Little Tokyo in Makati to restock (because I LUUURVE Japanese mayo). I decided to stay in instead because I had to finish a writing job -- see # 8.
  4. Tried about every single spa in the area. I'm addicted. I love getting my feet pampered. I'd say that The Spa is the best experience, but it's costly. Let's Face It gives the best value for money. It's fairly cheap, but the service is competent.
  5. Watched a lot of DVDs. I just ran through all three seasons of Arrested Development in a week-long marathon, and I am so in love with it (my favorite episode is S2E4, "Good Grief"). The soap opera music that plays every time Oscar hints that he's Buster's father? Hilarious!
  6. Read a lot of books, but I still have a long way to go. I have a shelf full of unread books. I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky a couple of weeks ago. Verdict? Favorite Book Ever (alongside Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov). I've actually taken to using Final Draft (scriptwriting software) to write a screenplay adaptation. This book was made for the big screen. I can totally see Michael Angarano as Charlie and Zooey Deschanel as Sam.
  7. Speaking of writing, I have been writing a lot lately. I've been churning out tons of fan fiction (no, you can't see it! *embarrassed*), as well as an entire television script (the pitch is Rent meets Cheers meets Grey's Anatomy), with six follow-up episodes, and I just joined NaNoWriMo, short for National Novel Writing Month, where you basically have to write an entire novel in a month. Yeah, it feels like a kamikaze mission, but go me!
  8. I've decided to put my writing skills to use by taking on a part-time job. I write IT-related articles for an online company, and once I finish all of them -- mind you, a lot -- I'll be paid $1,200 for the job (that's about $120 every week). Yay, shopping money! The best part is that I can work from wherever I want to, and I make up my own hours.
  9. I just attended a theater seminar with renowned playwright Floy Quintos, which was AWESOME, and I promise I will blog about it in the coming week!

If I could describe my lifestyle in one sentence, I'd say it was a cross between unemployed slacker and housewife, what with all the baking and shopping and trips to the spa. I've also started watching soap operas -- eek! Only one, though, an American series called As the World Turns. But can you blame me? I'm all for Holden/Lily, and Luke/Noah is THE CUTEST THING EVER. I mean, seriously:

How can you not love that? Squee!

Mom insists that I take up a class to avoid the radioactive decay in my brain, so it's a toss-up between Spanish and driving. (I'm almost 18 and I still don't know how to drive!) I, of course, will delay the enrollment for as long as I friggin' can.

By the way, leaving a note:

To all the awesome people I just met at Theater Talk with Floy Quintos: I've decided to revive my old blog, This. Is. Jeanne. precisely for the purpose of discussing Theater Talk because Blogger is less exclusive than Multiply (and I had more readers there than I do here, I think). Watch for the recap of Theater Talk in a couple of days! Nice meeting all of you! Floy Quintos is love! (Although I must disagree, Avenue Q was awesome!) - Jules/Julie/Jeanne/JC/what have you, I have a lot of nicknames. XD

P.S. I was the one in the red blazer, black skirt and boots. The one who looks like a teenager but dresses like she's 40. =)) I don't usually dress like that, I swear!
JC got bored @ 8:30 AM

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com