Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Mmmmmusic meme (again)
...Total ripoff of your title. I'm uncreative, sorry.

Rules:
1. Reply to this post and I'll assign you a letter.
2. List (and upload, if you feel like it) 5 songs that start with that letter.
3. Post that to your journal with these instructions.

Was assigned the letter M by "Jiano invokes vengeance on faulty velcro" (hmm, what's that aboot, anyway?). It's been long established that nobody gives a shit about my relatively esoteric (at least, in this country) taste in music, but allow me to bore you with my music nerdness, and then you can pretend you actually understood what I just said so I can give you a letter:

1. "My Iron Lung" - Radiohead
We're too young to fall asleep
Too cynical to speak

We are losing it, can't you tell?
We scratch our eternal itch
A twentieth century bitch
And we are grateful for our iron lung

What's a music list from me without a Radiohead tune, right?

The song, along with Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box," that made me a diehard fan of 90's alt and grunge for life. Which is funny when you think about it, since the opening guitar riffs sound remarkably similar. Penned by enigmatic Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke as an outlet for his frustration at having to play "Creep" all the damn time, and that feeling of both hating something and being dependent on it is something I completely relate to. I first heard this through Patrice Pike's inspiring, soul-shattering rendition on Rock Star: Supernova, and my life has never been the same since then.

2. "The Mirror-Blue Night" - Original Broadway Cast, Spring Awakening

But there’s nowhere to hide from these bones, from my mind
It’s broken inside – I’m a man and a child
I’m at home with a ghost, who got left in the cold
Who knocks at my peace, with no keys to my soul
The most magical moment in Spring Awakening, which, really, is magical all throughout. Melchior, with his schoolmates echoing him from four corners, reflects on his desire for the ingenue Wendla. Definitely my favorite track, since it clocks in at #4 on my Top 25 Most Played on iTunes. I liked this so much that not only did I memorize the lyrics, but the choreography as well.

3. "Miss Murder" - AFI
What's the hook, the twist within this verbose mystery?
I would gladly bet my life upon it, that the ghost you love
Your ray of light, will fizzle out without hope
My love for Guitar Hero knows no bounds. I fared better on another M song, Weezer's "My Name Is Jonas," scoring 100% on sightread, first time I played it (OMG GO ME). That and "Even Flow" - Pearl Jam, of course, because me not rocking a grunge song is absolutely unheard of. However, "Miss Murder" is just so catchy and so much fucking fun to play that I could spend hours whittling away at it until I get it all right. The vocals are unforgettable, of course, but you can't help paying more attention to everything else -- the danceable opening bass line, the dee-dee-dee guitar riff on the first verse, and the gorgeous cacophony that is the chorus, when it all goes nucking futs. I can't help air-guitaring whenever this plays on my iPod, no matter how dumb I look.

4. "M'Aidez" - Sneaker Pimps
May days, throwaways, some things here have got to stay
A string of pearls, the strangest girl, happy with the western world
Painless Chinese burns, ties me down with daisy chains
Diamonds on her tongue and pleasure cuts and teasing
My first encounter with the Sneaker Pimps came through "Loretta Young Silks" playing over a montage of my uber-crush Randy Harrison in post-breakup depression on Queer as Folk. I only knew them through that one song, but God, was it fantastic. Then one day, I'm killing time at Tower Records when I see the album Bloodsport for P150. Best thing I bought all year.
 
5. "My Unfortunate Erection" - Jose Llana, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
My unfortunate protuberance, seems to have its own exuberance
Anyone for M & M’s? Delicious and appropriate
Anyone for Chewy Goobers? Inexpensive
Anyone for buying the shit that I’m selling?
Because my stiffy has ruined my spelling!
I went on a Broadway binge one day and downloaded the entire cast recording of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. This track's obviously my favorite. I'll unashamedly belt "All because of my unfortu-naaate, ere-heeection! Oh, Goooood!" at neighbor-annoying volume when I'm home alone, and sometimes, more quietly, "I don't blame my brain but I do blame my peniiiis" while walking around the mall, despite the weird glances I get from strangers. The good news? You get to listen to it (and LSS) too!
JC got bored @ 9:18 PM

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com